8. Gum and Candy
When out on a walk with a dog, he or she may ingest some fairly innocuous treats from grass to leftovers. However, it is vital to remain vigilant of what a dog eats while on leash: items like gum and sweets contain chemicals that lead to liver failure and long term side effects.
Today, many brands of gum and candy (as well as toothpaste) contain the chemical xylitol which is an artificial sugar replacement. While it can make a treat healthier for humans, it can cause a sudden drop (within 30 minutes of ingestion) of blood pressure in dogs. Dogs who are poisoned by xylitol become disorientated and have difficulty standing or walking and may even show signs of a seizure. If left untreated, dogs can be at risk for deadly liver failure.